8.31.2006

Rvinyl Samples & Application Supplies

It's not often that people buy application supplies despite the fact that they obviously make installation easier, faster and more interesting. Add to that the fact that I don't have to do anything except for get up from my chair and stick any of our wonderful application aides in a box and it's a win-win scenario for all concerned. Precisely for this reason, then, I would like to take a moment of your time to extol the virtues of one of our favorite members of The Rvinyl Team!'s Samples and Supplies section: The Squeegee.

The squeegee is perhaps the most often forgotten and maligned (actually, I've never heard of anyone maligning a squeegee) vinyl application tool in world. As such, it's time for spotlight on squeegees.

According to what I stole from Vinylbot 3K squeegees are awesome because:

Avery Graphics Squeegees evenly apply pressure to transfer tape greatly reducing the probability of air bubbles forming after installation. Used in conjunction with Rapid Tac or Rapid Tac II installation time is reduced and results are increased. Rvinyl recommends the use of Squeegees when applying all of its products.

I hope now we all understand the importance of spelling s-q-u-e-e-g-e-e- with four "e"'s. Furthermore, The Rvinyl Team!'s squeegees are only $1.99 USD and much more resilient than your credit card. Yet, what is the etymological and historical provenance of the beloved squeegee?

According to Wikipedia, the "
original squeegee was the squilgee, a wooden-bladed tool fishermen used to scrape their boat decks". Makes sense but why "squilgee"? No idea, and the folks submitting to wikipedia don't seem to care either. Luckily, my friends at the Online Etymology Dictionary, do care like I do, and provide this concise but informative definition:
squeegee
"wooden scraping instrument with a rubber blade," 1844, a nautical word, perhaps from squeege "to press" (1782), an alteration of squeeze.
At long last, the mystery of the squeegee has revealed itself to me! Unfortuantely, my random trawling of the information super highway hasn't provided near as many results as I would have hoped but I have gained a new appreciation for window washers and screen-printers.

-The Rvinyl Team!



No comments: